There are many advantages to scrubbing and cleaning the boat hull regularly.
The benefits of cleaning a boat hull regularly are:
- Removes Dirt, Mildew, Barnacles, Algae & Sludge
- Improves Boat Fuel Economy
- Prevents Potential Hull Damage
- Improves Boat's Appearance
- Improves Overall Boat Performance
- Saves Money
- Reduces Boat Haul Outs
These benefits are all great reasons why boat hull detailing should occur regularly.
The benefits listed apply to all types of vessels including sailboats, catamarans, pontoons, motorboats, deck boats, speedboats, cruisers, powerboats and yachts.
1. Removes Dirt, Mildew, Barnacles, Algae & Sludge
Cleaning a vessel's hull will:
- Remove harmful dirt build up: Dirt build up can harm the hull and create discoloration. Removing dirt regularly will prevent this.
- Remove sludge and algae from damaging boat propellers: Cleaning the hull often will help prevent propeller damage or clogging of the propellers.
- Remove bacteria: Bacteria like microbes, which are found near water, can build up on the hull. Washing and cleaning the hull regularly will stop this.
Regular cleaning of the boat hull will remove all these nasty sediments.
Cleaning the boat hull often will remove all the dirt that builds up around the hull area. It will also help remove any bacteria or clogging of the boat propellers.
2. Improves Boat Fuel Economy
A big advantage of regularly cleaning a boat hull is it improves the boat's fuel economy. This will:
- Reduce Amount Of Fuel Used: A cleaner hull helps the boat move through the sea water easier. This means less fuel is used
- Better the environment: Having a clean hull and using less marine fuel means it's better for the environment because less fuel is being burned.
- Reduce costs on fuel: A cleaner hull and better fuel economy means spending less money on fuel.
A cleaner boat hull will have a noticeable different on fuel consumption.
Regular cleaning of a boat hull helps improve boat fuel economy. When dirt is removed from the hull, the boat has less drag and weight which means less marine fuel usage.
3. Prevents Potential Hull Damage
Cleaning a boat hull regularly will:
- Help prevent hull damage: Dirt build up around the hull can cause damage. Regularly cleaning it will help prevent any damage caused by dirt.
- Help spot small damage before it becomes a bigger problem: Cleaning a hull regularly means you can spot small damage faster before it becomes a much larger problem.
- Prevent Hull Discoloration: Any grime or sludge on the hull can cause discoloration. A regular cleaning schedule helps stop this from happening.
- Help prevent hull material corrosion: Bacteria and rust around the hull can cause corrosion of the material. Regular hull cleaning will help stop this.
- Helps prevent need for costly parts replacement: Cleaning the hull often will help prevent parts from getting damaged by dirt build up.
- Add a protective coating to the hull: Hull cleaning products add protective coatings to the hull which helps prevent future damage.
A regular hull cleaning schedule is important to prevent hull damage.
A clean boat hull can help prevent hull damage. Regularly cleaning will help stop dirt build up from damaging the hull, causing corrosion or causing stains and cracks.
4. Improves Boat Appearance
Cleaning the boat hull will:
- Have the boat looking clean and like new: Regular hull cleaning will improve the overall boat aesthetics.
- Prevent rust from effecting aesthetics: Washing the hull often means rust can be removed more quickly. This improves the boat's overall aesthetics and appearance.
- Add a shine to the boat: Regular hull cleaning maintenance will add a shine to the boat.
Regular hull cleaning is important to maintain good boat appearance.
Cleaning the hull often will maintain overall boat appearance and aesthetics. This will leave the boat looking clean and new.
5. Improves Overall Boat Performance
In this context, cleaning the hull will:
- Reduce drag on the boat: No dirt around the hull means less drag in the water. This will improve boat performance.
- Reduce extra weight from the dirt: Sludge and algae build up adds extra weight to the boat. Cleaning the hull keeps the boat at it's optimal weight.
- Preserves health of engine: A cleaner hull means the boat operates more efficiently. This puts less stress on the engine will improves overall boat performance.
A cleaner boat hull will help with overall boat performance. No dirt on the hull means less added weight and no drag caused by the dirt.
6. Saves Money
Having a clean hull helps with saving money on costly parts replacements and other costs associated with damage caused by dirt build up.
In this context, cleaning a boat hull regularly will:
- Save money on expensive hull parts: Cleaning the hull frequently means you'll spot small damage before it becomes a much larger and more costly problem.
- Save money on fuel: A cleaner hull means the boat operates more efficiently. This will help save on fuel costs.
- Save money on other boat parts: A dirty hull will cause more stress through the boat engine making it easier to damage. Cleaning the hull helps relief engine stress which saves money on engine parts.
Regularly cleaning a boat hull will save money on maintenance costs. Better fuel economy, ability to easily prevent damage and prevent corrosion are all costs saved.
7. Less Boat Haul Outs
Cleaning the boat bottom regularly in the water means less haul outs. This will:
- Reduce costs for hauling out boat: If the vessel is larger, hauling it out of the water can be expensive. Cleaning the hull regularly in the water reduces the need for haul outs.
- Reduces time hauling out boat: Regularly hauling a boat out of the water to clean the hull is time consuming. Ensuring regular boat bottom cleaning in the water stops the need for doing this.
Usually, a boat bottom will need to be hauled out of the water for cleaning if the dirt build up gets too extreme.
So, cleaning the boat bottom in the water regularly will reduce the need for constant haul outs.
Regular boat bottom cleaning in the water means a lower amount of haul outs. Haul outs can be time consuming and costly depending on the size of the boat.
As outlined above, there are many benefits to cleaning a boat hull regularly.
How often a boat hull should be cleaned will depend on the type of boat, the environment the vessel is in and how often the boat is used.
Once the hull is clean and spotless, there will be a noticeable difference in overall performance of the boat, especially if the hull hasn't been cleaned in some time.